Monday, October 18, 2010

Harumph

I sat down to play tonight grumpy.  The reasons for the grump are unimportant, but perhaps it will serve as some explanation for why I'm so down on the game today.

I set off across the bridge to the north with no real idea of where to go/what to do next.  No big deal; I'm good at wandering.  Wandered into a scary looking cave.  I probably don't want to be there.   Cool, more wandering.  Whoops, one guy dead and no sign of a city to revive him.  Oh dear, there goes another.  Good god I'm out of ways to heal and still don't know where I am.  Time to start running from fights (I don't generally do this because I see it as the game's way to make you level up so you hopefully don't ahve to grind later).  Just as a game over seemed inevitable (and somewhat welcome, honestly), I spied a new city.  In I go, pay exorbitant rates to revive my party and stay in the inn, answer a couple phone calls from family, and kill off nine pirates, no big deal.

At this point I'm ready to throw my husband through the window because the whole time he's been saying things like "not that way!"  "why don't you use a potion?"  and, most irritatingly, "can I show you the thing with the boat now?"  See, he liked the idea of this project so much, he started playing FFI, too. And because I was away at the conference all weekend, he's pretty much done with it (and cheating by using the interwebs, too!).  Usually I'm ok with a little advice or a nudge in the right direction, but this was ridiculous.  Also, I will admit that I'm a little hyper-competitive sometimes, and this is my project, and I'm not very good at video games, so if it weren't for the online-accountability factor, I'd probably have stopped by now all in a huff.

So, yes.  Another hour played.  Another city saved.  I'm going back and doing some more fighting to get money to buy good stuff before I leave this area.  I haven't decided if I'll go to the weird cave place next (which some old man asked me to save) or take the boat to the elf city some girl told me about.  I guess it depends on how accommodating I'm feeling.

Sorry for the rambly, grumpy post.  My brain is conference jelly, and my students have not been cooperating well recently, so I'm mentally not awesome at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment