Saturday, October 9, 2010

A little history lesson (aka my background in gaming)

In the interest of full disclosure, I am not an avid gamer.  I was utterly enraptured by text-based adventure games on my dad's Apple II, played Crystal Quest compulsively on the Macintosh, then moved on to Chip's Challenge.  About that time, I started dancing competitively, and any free time I had been using for computer (and/or video games, but we never owned a console) was spent at the studio.

Over the years I played my share of Mario Kart and Soul Calibur, but I was never really that into it.  As video games became more difficult and gory, I was even more hesitant to get back into them.  Then I started dating gamers.  My high school boyfriend was a Call of Duty, Half-Life, Halo kind of guy who later got into WoW.  I spent a lot of time sitting around with my first college boyfriend during Everquest 2 LAN parties, and I ended up marrying a guy who's a level 75 Beastmaster on FFXI.

I'm still much more of a video game watcher than a video game player, but my husband convinced me to give Final Fantasy X a try.  I fell totally in love.  I got so attached to the characters, I got wrapped up in the story line, I wanted more!  Unfortunately, one of the things I loved about FFX was it's totally turn based fight engine, which few of the other Final Fantasies have.  After watching him play through a few of the other games, though, I decided it was time to bite the bullet and experience it for myself.

I love Final Fantasy games for their intricate story lines.  I appreciate the continuity between installments, yet each one re-imagines the familiar classes, spells, and items in its own way.  And because I'm more than a little anal-retentive, I must play them all in order.  Hopefully this experiment will help me rekindle my interest in video games and force me to get over some of my hesitancy to play anything faster paced than Myst.

No comments:

Post a Comment